Tuesday 14 April 2015

Axminster Health and Wellbeing Centre
Testimonial by volunteer Emma Prior

I was first made aware of the Centre, by Jane Rowe shortly after moving to Axminster in September 2014. It did take me a little while to actually go in and visit, like many things in life we keep meaning to do. However, after my first visit I wish I’d gone in sooner.

I had noticed the advert for volunteers on the front door and wondered if I could find out a little more about what the Centre did and what opportunities it may hold for me. As a massage therapist myself I have an interest in health, wellbeing and helping people. In addition I still felt quite new to the town and thought it may be a good chance to meet some new people. For once, how correct my thoughts and hopes were.

On entering I was met by a friendly face on reception and after a short chat was shown around the centre and given some information, both verbal and written as to what the centre offered. There are some wonderful facilities and opportunities at the centre which I was completely unaware of until this moment. This includes: The Axminster Food Bank., a free library and the chance to just make yourself a drink and read or sit in the garden. Free Read Easy classes and a large number of groups and classes including meditation, yoga, mindfulness and cancer support. Not to mention the long list of therapies on offer.


However it was the chance to interact with people that I decided would be best for me and so I signed up to volunteer on reception. I have volunteered now for 2 months and enjoyed every minute of it. The staff and volunteers are extremely friendly and I feel I have gained confidence on the telephone and increased my experience at dealing with customer queries. These are very important attributes to me as at the end of April I am leaving the centre to expand and develop my own Soft Tissue Therapy and Sports Massage business which will be based at 5 Milton’s Yard in Axminster. I will continue to be a supporter and friend of the centre as I believe it does great work within the community and encourage all those who have been ‘meaning to pop in’ for a while to make the time to go in and see what’s on offer. I guarantee you’ll be pleased you did. 

No comments:

Post a Comment