Tuesday 28 April 2015

Every now and then...

Now and again I am reminded just how amazing the human body is and how the body and all of it's functions seem to carry on day in day out doing what it needs to do with very little interference and conscious direction from us!

Working at the Centre has given me the opportunity to learn more about some of the practices that our complementary therapists offer to clients and just yesterday I became quite intrigued by a practice that can help babies, who are not in the 'head down' position, turn ready for delivery.

This was of immense interest to me on a personal level - had I known about 
pelvic diaphragm release sixteen years ago I might have had an entirely different experience of pregnancy and delivery!

My delightful son's position was  'transverse' for most of my pregnancy with him and in spite of the fact that many people assured me that he would eventually 'turn' I was never convinced  and he never did 'turn'. Something about my body just didn't feel right - something felt restricted somehow.

My son was born by planned cesarean section, delivered by a lovely registrar and team of midwives so all was well, however it seems to me that a treatment of pelvic diaphragm release may possibly have helped and prevented the need for surgical intervention. 
I believe that would only have been a good thing for all concerned.

Pelvic Diaphragm Release involves, as I understand it, the use of Myofascial Release Techniques to release restrictions around the pelvic diaphragm and is one of the tools available for midwives or bodywork practitioners to use when supporting pregnant women.

 If you find yourself with a baby in 'breech' or 'transverse' it is definitely worth asking your midwife for more information about the subject and the options available for support for this situation. 

More than anything though the fact that these treatments are now available has heartened me and on a wider level has also reminded me that it is totally acceptable for our bodies, at times, to need a little bit of help from those that are skilled at giving it.

SN



No comments:

Post a Comment