Friday 30 September 2016

Thank you and a fond farewell to Nikki our volunteer

I began volunteering at Axminster Health & Wellbeing Centre in July 2015, having only moved down to Axminster from Bedfordshire two months earlier. I was welcomed in as one of the team of volunteers who man the reception desk, and I also took on the task of creating a computerised catalogue of all of the books held in the centre’s library – no easy task with approximately 1000 books to list! Originally when I began volunteering, I thought the main benefit would be to meet new people and hopefully make some friends along the way. However, after a few weeks here, I realised just how much they offer in terms of the therapies available and how they look after the team of volunteers to make sure that they are not doing more than they are able to realistically manage. 

Whilst here, I have been able to help with things such as the Wishing Well cancer support group, and help out at the annual Health & Wellbeing Exhibition which I thoroughly enjoyed as I got to meet and speak to hundreds of people. I have also been lucky enough to have some therapies here outside of my working hours, including massage and mindfulness. I have learnt a great deal more about the wide variety of complimentary therapies available as well, and will definitely be trying a few more!


In the last two months,  after being put in contact with an organisation called Pluss, I was given the opportunity to work more hours at the centre and be paid by Pluss (this is known as an Options Traineeship) to help me to get ready for finding permanent employment. Little did I know that, less than six weeks later, I would be sat here writing this blog post, on my last day working at the centre before starting full time work in the morning! It happened so quickly and everyone at the centre has been so supportive of my decision to apply for and then accept the offer of the job. I will miss my shifts at the centre but will still be helping at their events such as the Exhibition (Saturday 8th October at Axminster Guildhall!). 

 I cannot thank them enough for the experience and support they have provided here. If you are looking for a volunteering opportunity then definitely get in contact with them as it’s a lovely place to work and meet new people from the local area.

No comments:

Post a Comment